This, Burne-Jones's first cartoon for stained glass, became one of the standard designs of James Powell and Sons, The Whitefriars Glass Co. One version was used in the east window of the Congregational Church, King Street, Maidstone, 1860-62.
The term 'cartoon', as used here, means a full-sized drawing for execution in another medium, in this case stained glass. It was Burne-Jones's first design in the medium. It represents Christ as the Good Shepherd, bringing home lost sheep. It has some corrections pasted on and is numbered throughout with references for the colour of the glass. It was commissioned by James Powell and Sons of Whitefriars, the leading manufacturers of glass at the time, and became one of their standard designs. One version was used in the east window of the Congregational Church, King Street, Maidstone (1860-3), and another in St Patrick's Church, Trim, County Meath, Ireland (1869).